In our first NBA division preview of the new season, The Baseline breaks down the SW Division and all the turnover on each team. Tune in as we discuss:
Memphis Grizzlies (4:00)
- Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. attempt to usher in a new era with grit and grind as a thing of the past. Josh Jackson seeks a new start and Jonas Valanciunas looks to establish himself as legitimate starting center without fear of being moved.
Dallas Mavericks (14:29)
- Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis are the team’s go-to-guys but can Rick Carlisle get production out of guys like Delon Wright, Justin Jackson and Dwight Powell to give the Mavs a push towards playoff contention?
New Orleans Pelicans (25:13)
- Zion Williamson has the supporting cast to aid his eventual ascension but in the meantime Jrue Holiday slots as the team’s best player. Can the Lakers scorned (Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart) set their egos aside for the betterment of what could be a young exciting core?
San Antonio Spurs (36:11)
- The old mantra of death, taxes and Spurs might finally be in peril. DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge are mid-range assassins but the team will likely need Dejounte Murray and Jakob Poeltl to take leaps to keep the team playoff relevant.
Houston Rockets (46:10)
- The biggest question facing the Rockets appears to be the co-existence of James Harden and Russell Westbrook but Mike D’Antoni‘s future with the team is murky at best. Can the supplemental parts of Clint Capella, P.J. Tucker and Eric Gordon provide enough support to the MVP-caliber duo with historic usage rates?