With the anticipation of tonight’s most prestigious acting achievement there are several front runners in each film category. Let’s not hesitate and get straight to it:
For Best Picture the nominations are as follows:
- American Hustle
- Captain Phillips
- Dallas Buyers Club
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street
Fancyspicks prediction is a toss up between ‘American Hustle’ and ’12 Years a Slave’ but I will go out on a limb here and pick ’12 Years a Slave’ simply because it is on the lips of Hollywood and will probably be the only Oscar that this film will receive.
For Best Actor in a Leading Role the nominations are as follows:
- Christian Bale (American Hustle)
- Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
- Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
- Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
- Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
My prediction is for Leonardo DiCaprio for the movie ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’. I have a feeling ‘Matthew McConaughey’ might win simply because of the hype he has received from ‘Dallas Buyers Club’ but truly Leonardo DiCaprio is due a best actor win. Not to mention, he continues to transform himself in various acting roles and pushes his acting limit in transcending movies. Quite frankly, it should be a ‘DiCaprio’ win.
- Amy Adams (American Hustle)
- Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
- Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
- Judi Dench (Philomena)
- Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)
This prediction is truly a tie in my eyes between ‘Amy Adams’ and ‘Cate Blanchett’, however I have a strong feeling that neither of them will get it. We shall see…
For Best Actor in a Supporting Role the nominations are as follows:
- Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
- Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
- Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
- Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
- Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
The clear winner in this category has to be ‘Jared Leto’. Enough said!
- Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
- Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
- Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave)
- Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
- June Squibb (Nebraska)
The winner for this category should go to ‘Jennifer Lawrence’ as she can become any role she gets her hands on.
Last but not least, lets look at the nominations for Best Directing, they are as follows:
- American Hustle (David O. Russell)
- Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
- Nebraska (Alexander Payne)
- 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese)
The winner should be ‘Alfonso Cuaron’ for ‘Gravity’.
Follow me on Twitter @fancyspicks so we can watch the Oscars together and see if these predictions are spot on.