Finally, the NBA season is no longer something to discuss in the future tense. It is here and The Baseline crew is joined by Gerald Brown (The Bottom Line Sports Show) and Brandon Robinson (Source Magazine) to discuss the potential award winners this season. It’s an amazing show with some popular and some not so popular takes on what is about to unfold this season. We discuss:
- Rookie of the Year candidates: Is it all about Jabari Parker or do guys like Nerlens Noel and Andrew Wiggins have a shot?
- Sixth Man of the Year: Jamal Crawford almost annual award is in jeopardy with guys like Taj Gibson, Greg Monroe and Tim Hardaway Jr. on the rise.
- Most Improved Player: One of the most wide open awards the league has our panel weighs-in on players like Anthony Bennett, C.J. Miles, Jared Sullinger, Chandler Parsons and Derek Favors.
- Defensive Player of the Year: Joakim Noah is the current holder of the award but Serge Ibaka, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan and Samuel Dalembert all garner some interest from our panel.
- Coach of the Year: Who will be the man with the plan and how does this award get decided? Do annual candidates Gregg Popovich and Tom Thibodeau take it home? Or will guys like Lionel Hollins, Dwayne Casey, Brian Shaw or David Blatt show their coaching prowess and take it home.
- Most Valuable Player: With Kevin Durant out to begin the year will LeBron James take home the award or can Blake Griffin and KD’s sidekick Russell Westbrook impress enough to garner votes.
- Eastern Conference Finals predictions: One of our panelist thinks the Heat can potentially return and compete against the Cavs, Bulls and Wizards but a surprise pick emerges with the Raptors from another person on our panel.
- Western Conference Finals predictions: The Spurs and Clippers dominate the predictions but the Rockets get a shocking nod from one of our esteemed guests.
- NBA Finals predictions: In some form or fashion the Spurs, Cavs, Bulls and Clippers all make the Finals according to the panelist but who each picks a different champion to emerge.
- Mark My Words: Each guest states an unpopular opinion about something that is going to happen (or not happen) in the NBA this season.
All this and more on a fun and jam-packed edition of The Baseline: