For the basketball-starved public, ESPN is providing a pseudo fix with the release of The Last Dance. This in-depth look at Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls is nostalgia, history and greatness all rolled into a ten-episode ride. The Baseline boys figured it was only right to do after shows on this engaging content that has fascinated the basketball community. We will be taking a look each Sunday after the episodes drop. This week we dive into episodes three and four which feature:
Dennis Rodman‘s story and impact on the Bulls
- Elite defender, rebounder and button-pusher.
- The exodus from Detroit to San Antonio and eventual stop with the Chicago Bulls thanks to Jim Stack.
- Celebrity status dating Madonna and Carmen Electra and how that shaped his psyche.
- His mid-season vacation to Las Vegas and how Jordan had to come to fish him out of a hotel room.
Phil Jackson‘s story and coming of age
- Was Jackson the Rodman of coaching?
- Phil earned his stripes coaching in the Puerto Rican basketball league, CBA and as an assistant.
- Tex Winter’s triangle offense and how they struggled to get Jordan to buy-in.
- Doug Collins seeing the writing on the wall that Phil would replace him despite coaching Mike to multiple awards and the Eastern Conference Finals.
The Bulls vs the Detroit “Bad Boys” Pistons
- How the Pistons bullied MJ for years with the Jordan rules and forcing him to lift weights.
- Chicago eventually overcoming the Pistons by sweeping them out a series and the bad blood that remains.
- Isiah Thomas and Jordan’s everlasting beef and why MJ thinks Zeke is an “A-hole”.
Miscellaneous tidbits from the episodes
- The Sniff Brothers, aka Jordan’s security detail.
- Jordan snitching again, this time on Scott Burrell who is begging not to be filmed in an awkward moment on the team’s plane.
We also look ahead to episodes 5 and 6 in hopes of a deeper look into the Dream Team and foes who became friends of the Bulls.