This week it’s all about the NBA Playoffs. While the first round has not lived up to hype that some of the matchups led us to believe they might, the competitive play and playoff performances have been awe-inspiring to say the least. This week we look at the progressions of each series:
- Derrick Rose is back at an elite level and the Bulls look ready to take out the upstart Bucks despite good team play.
- The Hawks aren’t dominating but still lead the series vs the Nets. Can Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez even the series or will Jeff Teague, Al Horford and Paul Millsap say goodbye Brooklyn?
- The best series is clearly between the Clippers and Spurs. Will Doc Rivers run Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan into the ground to get past the defending champions? Or is the athleticism of L.A. too much for Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and the ailing Tony Parker to overcome?
- Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis won’t let the Mavs die just yet despite the distractions of Rajon Rondo. Could the Rockets be the least respected two seed ever despite Dwight Howard regaining his form to aid James Harden?
- What do we make of the walking wounded series between the Grizzlies and Blazers? Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge have their hands full with the physical attack of Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph but will Mike Conley‘s latest injury change the series?
- Congratulations to the Warriors, Cavs and Wizards as they have advanced to the next round. Can Stephen Curry continue his assault? Will the transgression of J.R. Smith and injury to Kevin Love derail LeBron James and the Cavs next round? Paul Pierce trolled Toronto all series but can his team led by John Wall and Bradley Beal truly push for the Eastern Conference Finals?
- We also added a little twist with the teams who have already been eliminated from the playoffs. Be sure to check out our segment – Gon’ Get as we bid adieu to the Celtics, Pelicans and Raptors as we debate what’s next for each team.
- We also go coast to coast discussing some the news happening around the NBA outside of the playoffs including Pat Riley‘s no smiling faces comment.
All this and more on this week’s edition of The Baseline